Apply Now

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Child Support Changes

i-childcustodyandsupprtLife after a divorce or separation presents many challenges for both parents. When major changes in financial circumstances and children’s needs occur, it is often necessary to consider petitioning for a modification of the existing child support order. Essentially, this requires filing all the appropriate forms with the court to request a child support change and provide specific reasons that it is justified and necessary.

Do You Believe You Qualify For A Support Modification?

The Illinois laws and procedures associated with child support changes can be complex. If you believe you may be entitled to a modification — either a reduction or an increase in the court-ordered amount — you should seek counsel from an attorney with an in-depth understanding of the relevant statutes and processes.

At Self & Russelburg, LTD., our family law attorneys are well-prepared to assess your situation, advise you of your rights and take the necessary action. With conveniently located offices in Yorkville and Aurora, we welcome client inquiries and referrals from people throughout Kendall County, Kane County, DuPage County, DeKalb County and other area counties.

Get Clear, Reliable Legal Guidance From A Highly Experienced Attorney

At our law firm, a focused, knowledgeable lawyer will evaluate issues such as:

  • Whether your reason(s) for seeking a child support modification qualify as a “substantial change” likely to meet the criteria and standards applied by the court
  • What the amount of the new, modified order should be, based on all relevant financial data
  • Preparing for and presenting the issue to the court during a contested hearing

The legal reasons for child support modifications in Illinois may include a substantial change in income for either parent, substantially increased health care and/or health insurance costs, and extracurricular expenses. Since modifications cannot be made prior to filing for relief with the appropriate court, and “off the books” agreements between parents are not legally recognized, it may be very important to act promptly in your case.

For the clear counsel and solid representation you need to deal with any child support concern, your divorce or another family law matter, we encourage you to contact our firm anytime.